Tutor / Programme Leader (Journalism)
The Bauer Academy is Bauer Media’s in-house, Government approved training and education business.
Working within Bauer Media we deliver training on everything you’d expect from one of Europe’s largest media companies including digital marketing, content production, journalism, leadership, sales, creative advertising and fundraising.
At the Bauer Academy we believe in educational change. We passionately believe it’s in the interests of learners and employers that education evolves. We contribute to this journey by challenging the status quo, finding creative solutions and developing collaborations.
The focus of your role will be to have day to day responsibility for the co-ordination and high-quality delivery of defined Bauer Academy programmes, working predominantly on our journalism apprenticeship programmes. To be the main point of contact for learners, design and deliver workshops, carry out 12-weekly reviews, provide huddles and end point assessment preparation sessions. The role requires careful monitoring of learner progress; interpreting data and feedback to ensure individual learners are on track to reach their potential.
At all times there must be a passion for the individual learner and the ability to deliver learning in a flexible manner that meets different needs and provides a unique and meaningful learning experience
- Effective management of allocated apprenticeship programmes, including scheduling, timetabling, and ensuring Dedicated Development Time (DDT) and all necessary programme resources and materials are available to learners via Open Elms (our online Learning Management System).
- Delivery of module workshops (online and face to face) as defined by the Head of Creative Education. These will be appropriate to speciality/experience but should include Essential Journalism. Ensure all workshop and assignment plans satisfy our ‘Big Build’ and quality criteria.
- Co-ordinate, book and brief tutors for other specific workshops, modules and/or programme summits.
- Ensure that workshop attendance is recorded and monitored
- Provide marking and feedback on coursework in a timely manner, via Bauer Academy’s Open Elms LMS, ensuring written and verbal communication is clear and constructive.
- Carry out 12-weekly learner/line manager progress reviews and additional development sessions, if required. Ensure progress review and coaching sessions are documented in line with Bauer Academy requirements
- Co-ordinate and book all NCTJ exams, mock exams and re-takes, including scheduling, booking, preparing learners & ensuring they have correct access to platforms, invigilating and booking invigilators (ensuring they are proficient in the required platform), tracking and sending out results. Arrange re-sit/top up 1:1 sessions with learners as required
- Stay up to date with NCTJ guidance on module content, EPA, any changes in exams or assessments
- Upload learner portfolios and coursework on to the NCTJ website, in line with NCTJ policies.
- Track assignments, DDT and workshop attendance via monthly data packs and take swift and appropriate action where progress is below expectations, as detailed in Bauer Academy’s Attendance & Removal policy
- Provide accurate and timely information for internal and client quarterly reports and post implementation reviews and attend regular programme team and client update remote meetings
- Ensure programme materials are kept up to date and filed within the relevant Teams area
- Taking learners through EPA – delivering EPA workshops, regular drop-in sessions, feeding back on project plans, feeding back on project statements and the projects themselves, and undertaking QBA calls with line managers
- Work with Bauer Academy’s senior operations executive to ensure that all EPA activity runs smoothly for learners and that results are communicated swiftly and appropriately to learners, line managers and employers.
- Work in partnership with Bauer Academy’s programme executive to deliver appropriate graduation activity for all learners, based on internal/client requirements.
The Ideal Candidate
- Excellent time and project management skills – highly organised and a natural multi-tasker
- Strong knowledge, experience, and skills in relation to programme subject area
- An engaging and enthusiastic presenter/facilitator with the ability to deliver high quality training virtually and face to face
- Excellent people skills to ensure all learners reach their full potential and achieve successful outcomes. Confident when dealing with line managers and learners
- Knowledge of apprenticeships, including DDT, EPA, NCTJ and Ofsted requirements is preferred but not essential
- Strong I.T. literacy - comfortable in learning new platforms
- Flexible – willing to go the extra mile to get the job done
- Strong sense of initiative and ability to work independently
- Highly collaborative, with good inter-personal skills – persuasive, bright and positive.
Rewards packages at Bauer Media offer a range of salary sacrifice Benefits, such as our pension scheme and flexible holidays, as well as exclusive Perks like great deals and discounts for everyday life.
This role will be a mix of home and office working with an ideal office location in one of our main bases in London, Manchester or Peterborough, however other Bauer office locations would be considered for the right candidate.
To apply you'll need to send your CV accompanied by an introductory piece which tells us more about you and why you’re interested in working for the Academy and in this particular role. This can be in a format of your choice including written, visual, short video or even an audio podcast (please keep audio / video files to maximum 5 minutes).
About the Company
About Bauer Media Group
Bauer Media Group has become an enduringly successful media corporation by focusing on creating content that matters most to millions of people around the world: from print and online publishing to radio and money-helper services for consumers, as well as sales and marketing services for SMB. Family-owned in the 5th generation, Bauer focuses on the long term, with a consumer-first mindset that guides us across our increasingly diverse portfolio. Our workforce of 15,000 shares a passion – to deliver content and services that are popular with, and helpful to, our customers and partners.
Bauer Media UK is in the unique position of having its own in-house training provider available for all Bauer People: The Bauer Academy’s Accelerator programme is designed to help you learn new skills, increase your personal development and build a wider network of Bauer People. Our Learning & Development courses are widely used to upskill people at all stages of their career - there are a number of Bauer People at director level who are currently on programmes, as well as learners who are just starting their careers with us.
For more information about us please find our website https://baueracademy.co.uk/
Belonging at Bauer Mission statement
People are at the heart of everything we do. Inclusivity is part of who we are. We celebrate diversity in all its forms, and encourage authenticity, knowing that our differences are celebrated.
What we will offer you
Quite simply, our promise to you is that Bauer Media is a great place to do great work with great people. Our people take an enormous amount of pride in the brands they support. They like their team members, and they feel supported by their managers. We all take collective responsibility for our culture, because we know it has a ripple effect out across our brands. That’s why our culture of inclusion at work, Belonging at Bauer, is at the heart of everything we do. Belonging at Bauer is about our dual goals of being as representative as we can of the audiences we serve, and about creating a working environment where all our people feel able to bring their whole selves to work every day. It’s part of everything we do, and everyone who works here is responsible. If you join us, you’ll be an important part of this as well.