An opportunity exists for a platforms architect at Bauer Media Audio, part of the Bauer Media Group, Europe’s largest commercial radio broadcaster.
The position is based within the award-winning Audio Services development team. Availability is immediate due to team expansion. The position is currently working remote (from home) but will be office based in our Castle Quay Manchester canal-side location post covid; although we do expect this to be largely remote in a hybrid working sense.
The Focus of the Role
The Platforms Architect will enable and assist transformation of Bauer Media Audio by designing, and overseeing the implementation of the next generation of online capabilities using internet-inspired platforms, where BMA, its partners, and its audiences can interact, and consume services.
This role will lead on future Digital platforms enabling reusable and API driven capabilities as well as engage in strategic initiatives.
This role reports to the Chief Technology Officer (Digital) and will manage the strategic architecture and transformation of Platform and related approaches, tools and technologies.
This is a highly visible role that requires a mix of technical acumen and team leadership skills to drive the next generation of Bauer Media Audio digital services. This person must be creative, inquisitive, and be comfortable challenging the status quo.
Our teams work across multiple platforms ensuring all customer facing digital systems can adapt and scale when under large loads.
- Continual review of Bauer Media Audio architectural principals to ensure they are kept aligned to company strategic vision and what is considered best-practice
- Project involvement starting at a conceptualisation stage to understand full scope and requirements, continuing where applicable through delivery and implementation “full project life-cycle involvement”
- Working between the product team and the development teams; removing ambiguity from requirements by suggesting solutions aligned to the Bauer Media Audio architectural principals
- Research and investigation into technology solutions, tools, platforms and vendors which may be utilised by Bauer Media Audio to enhance its customer proposition
- This role is focussed on the future
- Technical leadership across digital technical resources, project resources, third parties and the wider business in a matrix organisation
- Oversee the quality of the work performed by members of any project teams that they lead to ensure it delivers measurable business benefits and maintains integrity with the architecture
- Representing Audio Services in the Bauer Media global enterprise architect community
- Running the architecture review board on behalf of the CTO
The Ideal Candidate
This role is less about the specific technologies involved but more about the skills and traits of the individual, we are looking for a candidate with:
- Passion for music, technology and making the lives of our listeners better
- Good problem-solving skills
- High attention to detail
- Good analytical thinking
- Excellent communication
- Expertise in object oriented programming and applying OO principles patterns
- Extensive experience with platform components and REST APIs, to define platform interfaces and boundaries
- Experience creating a loosely coupled, services oriented design that can scale for wide ranging services.
- Experience supporting extensibility, to plug new modules or services without requiring re-design
- Extensive experience working with, and enhancing, Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Development (CD) environments.
- Experience with Open Source Software, Cloud Platform Services and Open API techniques.
- Ability to lead technical teams on strategic initiatives
- Experience in conducting analysis for evidence-based decision making
- You will be able to convey complex information to both technical and non-technical audiences
- You will have high levels of creativity and drive and your genuine affinity for problem solving
- Commitment to growth of people
In addition to a competitive salary Bauer Media Audio offers each Audio services team member the ability to regularly undertake and investigate new technologies. We also offer and encourage all of our development team including managers personal development time; allowing each person to pursue technical studies of their own interest.
This is not a role for an ivory tower architect, the ideal candidate will work alongside developers and Site Reliability Engineers as a mentor, instructor, and peer.
Bauer Media Audio has a defined career path plan for developers and associated digital roles, this grade has equivalence of a Senior Principal Developer.
Rewards packages at Bauer Media offer a range of salary sacrifice Benefits, such as our pension scheme and flexible holidays, as well as exclusive Perks like great deals and discounts for everyday life.
We want to make sure that we find the right people to work in our teams, and we know that the traditional 9-5, five days a week doesn’t suit everyone. So, we would love to hear from you if you feel you’re a great fit for this role and would like to work flexibly. If you are the right person for this role, we’ll find the right working approach for you.
About the Company
About Bauer Media Group
Bauer Media Group has become an enduringly successful media corporation by focusing on creating content that matters most to millions of people around the world: from print and online publishing to radio and money-helper services for consumers, as well as sales and marketing services for SMB. Family-owned in the 5th generation, Bauer focuses on the long term, with a consumer-first mindset that guides us across our increasingly diverse portfolio. Our workforce of 15,000 shares a passion – to deliver content and services that are popular with, and helpful to, our customers and partners.
Bauer Media Audio is Europe’s leading digital commercial broadcaster and audio operator. Experts in the power of sound, the company reaches over twenty-five million listeners daily through its market-leading broadcast radio, online services, and podcasts. Spanning 8 countries - the UK, Republic of Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Poland and Slovakia - BM Audio owns leading brands including KISS, Mix Megapol, Absolute Radio, Radio Norge, Radio Expres, Radio Nova, Radio 100 and RMF.
Belonging at Bauer Mission statement
People are at the heart of everything we do. Inclusivity is part of who we are. We celebrate diversity in all its forms, and encourage authenticity, knowing that our differences are celebrated.
What we will offer you
Quite simply, our promise to you is that Bauer Media is a great place to do great work with great people. Our people take an enormous amount of pride in the brands they support. They like their team members, and they feel supported by their managers. We all take collective responsibility for our culture, because we know it has a ripple effect out across our brands. That’s why our culture of inclusion at work, Belonging at Bauer, is at the heart of everything we do. Belonging at Bauer is about our dual goals of being as representative as we can of the audiences we serve, and about creating a working environment where all our people feel able to bring their whole selves to work every day. It’s part of everything we do, and everyone who works here is responsible. If you join us, you’ll be an important part of this as well.
Our mental health at work
We’re proud to be the driving force behind the “Where’s your head at?” campaign, which is working to put Mental Health First Aiders on an equal footing with traditional workplace First Aiders. This is a priority for all of us that work at Bauer and we now have fully trained Mental Health First Aiders supporting and working across all of our UK locations.
Bauer Core Values
Creativity - We create unique, high quality content that delights our audiences.
Ambition - We think big and bold, pushing boundaries and embracing change.
Passion - We approach every day with curiosity, commitment and a lively positive mindset.
Teamwork - We learn from each other and take the time to understand both challenges and opportunities, working together to find the right solution.
Trust - We are open, respectful and honest.
Inclusivity - We encourage different points of view and perspectives and value all contributions.
Responsibility - We make measured and thoughtful decisions that support the business vision.
For more information about Bauer Media UK please check out our Website https://www.bauermedia.co.uk/