Interim Associate General Counsel
This is a unique opportunity to take on an interim role covering for the Associate General Counsel for Bauer Media UK, encompassing its audio and magazine publishing businesses, as well as assisting parts of Bauer’s audio business outside the UK where required. You will step in for the UK General Counsel on occasion and lead complex and involved matters. You will be responsible for delivering best-in-class, commercially-focused legal and risk management support and expertise across all areas of Bauer’s dynamic and varied business, advising on a wide range of legal issues. You will be joining a busy and highly effective (7 person) team and the role will require the ability to identify promptly corporate, commercial, legal and reputational issues and to identify and implement solutions to these, to give commercial as well as legal advice and to help motivate and manage the rest of the team to do the same.
The role requires the ability to develop strong relationships with key stakeholders and to influence, advise and support them to ensure close alignment between the legal team and the business, as well as the confidence to make decisions on issues that can have far-reaching impact. This role offers the chance to work directly with the executive team and senior management in Hamburg and the UK.
This role is located in our London office (currently in Camden Town but soon to be moving to a new office in Euston) and you will be required to attend the office at least 2-3 days per week, with flexibility to work from home or from the office at other times.
- Providing expert counsel to senior management on the breadth of legal and commercial matters that arise, applying robust commercial acumen in reviewing and stress-testing the commercial deals being put in place.
- Maintaining and increasing the credibility of the Legal team by proactively driving legal and regulatory compliance across the business (coordinating with the team in Hamburg where necessary) with opportunities to develop new, more effective, working methods and practices.
- Providing legal, strategic and project management support to the UK General Counsel and the business on all acquisition, investment and disposal activity (with external legal resource where required).
- Identifying solutions and a legal framework for novel initiatives (particularly in the radio and online media sectors) that require consideration of evolving regulatory, competitive, compliance and business trends.
- Service all areas of the business on a range of legal matters across Bauer Media’s commercial operations including leading negotiations on a wide range of commercial contracts, technology agreements, services (including software as a service) agreements, digital media agreements, advertising agency agreements and marketing agreements, radio broadcasting agreements at a national and regional level (transmission/carriage/distribution/multiplex), music rights/licensing, general IP, competition, licensing and corporate/tax work.
The successful candidate will be comfortable working with people from all levels of the company across the range of brands as well as providing support to the UK General Counsel and other members of the legal and management teams. We are looking for a dynamic, commercial, confident self-starter with excellent oral and written communication skills, who is able to manage a diverse and challenging range of contentious and non-contentious matters.
The Ideal Candidate
- 7+ PQE solicitor qualified in England and Wales, with general commercial experience gained at a top-tier law firm and some in-house experience. Media/IP experience a plus.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, in-house media environment would be very beneficial.
- Proven ability to work quickly, to prioritise competing demands and to differentiate and assess risk on various deals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work closely and advise various internal clients at differing levels of seniority and integrate with the business. Highly motivated and organised with a good work and team ethic and willing to operate in a flat, non-hierarchical structure.
- Experience in influencing business decision-making and a practical, confident and commercial approach to problem solving and managing legal risk
- Proven ability to draft and negotiate complex commercial transactions, working as the lead contact with expert external counsel only where required. Possess highly effective negotiating skills and strong attention to detail.
- The ideal candidate will be happy to work independently but also as part of a close-knit team who will look for help and direction, to exercise judgment and discretion and to manage his or her own time to ensure that tasks are completed efficiently and in line with company objectives.
- You must have a passion/interest in the Media industry.
Rewards packages at Bauer Media offer a range of salary sacrifice Benefits, such as our pension scheme and flexible holidays, as well as exclusive Perks like great deals and discounts for everyday life.
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Discounted high street vouchers
- Internal Bauer Academy – Wide range of learning opportunities to support with your Career Development ((4) Bauer Media Group - Academy: Posts | LinkedIn)
- Opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension
- Cycle to work scheme, tech loan scheme and groups discounts for healthcare insurance
- Discounted subscriptions on Bauer publications (50%)
- Thrive initiatives – Wellbeing at Bauer
- Opportunities to contribute to our Belonging@Bauer and Sustainability initiatives
About the Company
About Bauer Media Group
Bauer Media Group has become an enduringly successful media corporation by focusing on creating content that matters most to millions of people around the world: from print and online publishing to radio and money-helper services for consumers, as well as sales and marketing services for SMB. Family-owned in the 5th generation, Bauer focuses on the long term, with a consumer-first mindset that guides us across our increasingly diverse portfolio. Our workforce of 15,000 shares a passion – to deliver content and services that are popular with, and helpful to, our customers and partners.
Bauer Media Audio is Europe’s leading digital commercial broadcaster and audio operator. Experts in the power of sound, the company reaches over twenty-five million listeners daily through its market-leading broadcast radio, online services, and podcasts. Spanning 9 countries - the UK, Republic of Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Poland, Portugal and Slovakia - BM Audio owns leading brands including KISS, Mix Megapol, Absolute Radio, Radio Norge, Radio Expres, Radio Nova, Radio 100 and RMF.
Belonging at Bauer Mission statement
People are at the heart of everything we do. Inclusivity is part of who we are. We celebrate diversity in all its forms, and encourage authenticity, knowing that our differences are celebrated.
What we will offer you
Quite simply, our promise to you is that Bauer Media is a great place to do great work with great people. Our people take an enormous amount of pride in the brands they support. They like their team members, and they feel supported by their managers. We all take collective responsibility for our culture, because we know it has a ripple effect out across our brands. That’s why our culture of inclusion at work, Belonging at Bauer, is at the heart of everything we do. Belonging at Bauer is about our dual goals of being as representative as we can of the audiences we serve, and about creating a working environment where all our people feel able to bring their whole selves to work every day. It’s part of everything we do, and everyone who works here is responsible. If you join us, you’ll be an important part of this as well.
Our mental health at work
We’re proud to be the driving force behind the “Where’s your head at?” campaign, which is working to put Mental Health First Aiders on an equal footing with traditional workplace First Aiders. This is a priority for all of us that work at Bauer and we now have fully trained Mental Health First Aiders supporting and working across all of our UK locations.
Bauer Core Values
Creativity - We create unique, high quality content that delights our audiences.
Ambition - We think big and bold, pushing boundaries and embracing change.
Passion - We approach every day with curiosity, commitment and a lively positive mindset.
Teamwork - We learn from each other and take the time to understand both challenges and opportunities, working together to find the right solution.
Trust - We are open, respectful and honest.
Inclusivity - We encourage different points of view and perspectives and value all contributions.
Responsibility - We make measured and thoughtful decisions that support the business vision.
For more information about Bauer Media UK please check out our Website https://www.bauermedia.co.uk/