Head of Innovation
Bauer Media Audio operates a ‘hub and spoke’ model for digital. The central digital team supports our country business units with strategy, insight, innovation, product management, technology, IP distribution and support. Our country teams are responsible for local planning, content and commercial delivery. As part of a combined community of digital experts, the teams work in partnership to create outstanding services to our users and deliver commercial success.
As a team we thrive on combining local market excellence with a wider, global perspective.
You will be responsible for setting up and communicating the Innovation Process across the global Digital Audio business. This means that you are the champion of pioneering disruptive thinking and innovative ideas in the audio market across our eight territories, working closely with all business units to gather ideas, develop and test concepts, build investment plans and communicate successes (and failures!) back to stakeholders and the wider business. This is a pivotal role that requires a highly collaborative way of working and excellent communication skills.
You will be responsible for building on the success of our first success Innovation Challenge and the relatively new innovation team to ensure an effective approach and promoting an innovative mindset throughout Bauer Media Audio. You will be part of our Central Digital Team, working closely with our experts in Product, Technology, Insight, Partnerships and Data -- and report to the Chief Operating Officer (Digital) for Bauer Media Audio.
- Own the innovation roadmap - taking ideas from ideation, prioritising based on agreed key metrics, developing proofs of concept, testing against strategic business objectives and agreeing for development/go-live/kill
- Recommend best practice for managing ongoing digital innovation across the Bauer Media Audio territories (8 countries in total)
- Ensure ideas are encouraged and gathered from all parts of the business via the ‘Bauer Media Audio Innovation Challenge’. This will include having a visible online tool to view and share ideas
- Run workshops across BMA territories (UK, Nordics, Poland & Slovakia)
- Demonstrate succinctly your team’s vision for particular ideas to senior stakeholders – using a variety of tools to shortcut the need for development resources
- Be our eyes and ears across the Audio industry, bringing cutting edge digital innovations to the attention of the Central Digital Team
- Seek industry recognition for Innovative Developments by applying for relevant Awards
- Spot opportunities to support Innovative thinking across the business e.g. Promote the Innovation Toolkit
- Line manage the Innovation team’s UX / design resource
- Work collaboratively with a range of disciplines including Commercial, Partnerships, Insights and Editorial to identify the sweet spot of opportunity
- With support from our Insight teams, monitor user behaviour to inform our innovation roadmap and run user testing for early PoC feedback when required
- Embed new culture of innovation, educating the business on digital ways of working such as design thinking and ‘failing fast‘
- Be a champion for the ‘hub and spoke’ model, achieving alignment between different teams
The Ideal Candidate
- Thirst for innovation and a desire to be at the forefront of new thinking
- Experience in progressing ideas to PoC stage and beyond
- Experience in setting up and embedding new processes
- Passion for digital audio and radio
- High levels of ambition, grounded in the art of the possible
- Understanding of the key digital concepts covering product, content and commercial
- Highly collaborative working style – building trust between different teams
- Outstanding communication skills – oral and written
- Commercial acumen
- Ability to inspire and motivate others across different functions
- Appetite for getting stuck into the detail and taking individual responsibility for ensuring tasks happen
- Good business planning and management skills
- Commitment to putting the team first, over the individual
- Line management experience
- Comfortable embracing ambiguity, thrive in a start-up environment whilst able to navigate a large matrix organisation
- Resilience under pressure and at your best when there are lots of moving parts
- Experience working successfully with senior management
- Delivery focussed and well organised to deliver to deadlines
Rewards packages at Bauer Media offer a range of salary sacrifice Benefits, such as our pension scheme and flexible holidays, as well as exclusive Perks like great deals and discounts for everyday life.
We want to make sure that we find the right people to work in our teams, and we know that the traditional 9-5, five days a week doesn’t suit everyone. So, we would love to hear from you if you feel you’re a great fit for this role and would like to work flexibly. If you are the right person for this role, we’ll find the right working approach for you.
About the Company
About Bauer Media Group
Bauer Media Group has become an enduringly successful media corporation by focusing on creating content that matters most to millions of people around the world: from print and online publishing to radio and money-helper services for consumers, as well as sales and marketing services for SMB. Family-owned in the 5th generation, Bauer focuses on the long term, with a consumer-first mindset that guides us across our increasingly diverse portfolio. Our workforce of 15,000 shares a passion – to deliver content and services that are popular with, and helpful to, our customers and partners.
Bauer Media Audio is Europe’s leading digital commercial broadcaster and audio operator. Experts in the power of sound, the company reaches over twenty-five million listeners daily through its market-leading broadcast radio, online services, and podcasts. Spanning 7 countries - the UK, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Poland and Slovakia - BM Audio owns leading brands including KISS, Mix Megapol, Absolute Radio, Radio Norge, Radio Expres, Radio Nova, Radio 100 and RMF.
Belonging at Bauer Mission statement
People are at the heart of everything we do. Inclusivity is part of who we are. We celebrate diversity in all its forms, and encourage authenticity, knowing that our differences are celebrated.
What we will offer you
Quite simply, our promise to you is that Bauer Media is a great place to do great work with great people. Our people take an enormous amount of pride in the brands they support. They like their team members, and they feel supported by their managers. We all take collective responsibility for our culture, because we know it has a ripple effect out across our brands. That’s why our culture of inclusion at work, Belonging at Bauer, is at the heart of everything we do. Belonging at Bauer is about our dual goals of being as representative as we can of the audiences we serve, and about creating a working environment where all our people feel able to bring their whole selves to work every day. It’s part of everything we do, and everyone who works here is responsible. If you join us, you’ll be an important part of this as well.
Our mental health at work
We’re proud to be the driving force behind the “Where’s your head at?” campaign, which is working to put Mental Health First Aiders on an equal footing with traditional workplace First Aiders. This is a priority for all of us that work at Bauer and we now have fully trained Mental Health First Aiders supporting and working across all of our UK locations.
Bauer Core Values
Creativity - We create unique, high quality content that delights our audiences.
Ambition - We think big and bold, pushing boundaries and embracing change.
Passion - We approach every day with curiosity, commitment and a lively positive mindset.
Teamwork - We learn from each other and take the time to understand both challenges and opportunities, working together to find the right solution.
Trust - We are open, respectful and honest.
Inclusivity - We encourage different points of view and perspectives and value all contributions.
Responsibility - We make measured and thoughtful decisions that support the business vision.
For more information about Bauer Media UK please check out our Website https://www.bauermedia.co.uk/