Editor - EMPIRE
The award-winning EMPIRE team is passionate about film, and produces outstanding content across print, digital, social and audio.
To lead and inspire the editorial team to produce outstanding content across print, digital, social and audio which directly appeals to the brand’s target market and is produced to the highest editorial standards. To maintain the magazine’s competitive advantage in the market, maximise commercial opportunities across the brand and deliver against reach targets (print and digital).
The ideal candidate will have experience as an Editor and is an expert at leading a team – and they must be as fanatical about film as we are!
- To plan, produce and oversee the magazine to deadline each issue
- To inspire, manage, motivate and lead the editorial team
- Approve copy and pictures; and checking proofs where it is deemed necessary
- Continually develop and refine editorial content to reflect the needs of the audience
- Seek new ways of increasing circulation through insight led product development
- Recognising the right kind of PR opportunities and campaigns to heighten the profile of the brand
- Ensuring the cover, and corresponding marketing activity, is produced to the highest standards and reflects editorial strategy
- Attending relevant industry events/meetings as the ambassador for the brand
- Liaise with all members of the editorial team, internal and external stakeholders
- Work with the Managing Editor to ensure that the magazine and all digital channels remain within editorial budget
The Ideal Candidate
- Vision: the ability to create a clear focused vision for the future of the brand and to believe passionately in that vision.
- Discretion: Close, confidential relationship with Publisher and Group MD
- Strategy, Planning & Organisation: The ability to define a strategy for the brand in line with your vision. To make changes in anticipation or in light of experience and events so that strategies are delivered as planned.
- Market Awareness: Ability to think like a reader; balance editorial principles with the need to help the Ad team; keep one step ahead of competitors
- Commercial Awareness & Results: Produces a magazine on time and within budget, and in line with objectives set for circulation and readership.
- Initiative & Innovation: Contributes masses of ideas for developing the brand and constantly develop title that delivers against commercial targets (revenue and reach)
- Communication: the ability to speak publicly (advertisers, radio, TV) and to represent the brand brilliantly; to be able to communicate your vision in writing and orally
- Coaching: Develops team performance by consistently and regularly giving clear and accurate feedback and by providing challenge and support for individuals.
Rewards packages at Bauer Media offer a range of salary sacrifice Benefits, such as our pension scheme and flexible holidays, as well as exclusive Perks like great deals and discounts for everyday life.
About the Company
About Bauer Media Group
Bauer Media Group has become an enduringly successful media corporation by focusing on creating content that matters most to millions of people around the world: from print and online publishing to radio and money-helper services for consumers, as well as sales and marketing services for SMB. Family-owned in the 5th generation, Bauer focuses on the long term, with a consumer-first mindset that guides us across our increasingly diverse portfolio. Our workforce of 15,000 shares a passion – to deliver content and services that are popular with, and helpful to, our customers and partners.
As the UK’s biggest selling magazine publisher, we create iconic and influential magazine media brands, digital properties and associated consumer and B2B live events for diverse, passionate audiences. We reach 25 million consumers through our portfolio, which includes heat, Grazia, Closer, Empire, Motor Cycle News, Parkers, Mother& Baby, TV Choice, Take a Break, Bella, Yours, Garden News and Country Walking. Our scale, coupled with the breadth of our portfolio, gives us an advantage over pure play magazine competitors. It also gives us a huge responsibility - our brands become the lens through which our audiences see the world, and for this reason, we take our responsibilities as a media outlet very seriously, recognising that we are responsible for shaping perceptions in the wider world.
Belonging at Bauer Mission statement
People are at the heart of everything we do. Inclusivity is part of who we are. We celebrate diversity in all its forms, and encourage authenticity, knowing that our differences are celebrated.
What we will offer you
Quite simply, our promise to you is that Bauer Media is a great place to do great work with great people. Our people take an enormous amount of pride in the brands they support. They like their team members, and they feel supported by their managers. We all take collective responsibility for our culture, because we know it has a ripple effect out across our brands. That’s why our culture of inclusion at work, Belonging at Bauer, is at the heart of everything we do. Belonging at Bauer is about our dual goals of being as representative as we can of the audiences we serve, and about creating a working environment where all our people feel able to bring their whole selves to work every day. It’s part of everything we do, and everyone who works here is responsible. If you join us, you’ll be an important part of this as well.
Our mental health at work
We’re proud to be the driving force behind the “Where’s your head at?” campaign, which is working to put Mental Health First Aiders on an equal footing with traditional workplace First Aiders. This is a priority for all of us that work at Bauer and we now have fully trained Mental Health First Aiders supporting and working across all of our UK locations.
Bauer Core Values
Creativity - We create unique, high quality content that delights our audiences.
Ambition - We think big and bold, pushing boundaries and embracing change.
Passion - We approach every day with curiosity, commitment and a lively positive mindset.
Teamwork - We learn from each other and take the time to understand both challenges and opportunities, working together to find the right solution.
Trust - We are open, respectful and honest.
Inclusivity - We encourage different points of view and perspectives and value all contributions.
Responsibility - We make measured and thoughtful decisions that support the business vision.