Digital News Apprentice
A Digital News Apprenticeship with Bauer Media is the start of an exciting career in Journalism. You don’t need to have any journalism experience, just a love for news and creating content. A journalism apprenticeship offers the option of working as a trainee journalist and earning a salary while receiving structured training towards a nationally recognised qualification.
Our Apprenticeship Training is delivered by our in-house Ofsted Grade 2 Training Provider, The Bauer Academy, whose team of industry experts will guide you through the qualification.
We are particularly interested in applicants who are underrepresented in Journalism.
You must be living in England and spend at least 50% of your working hours in England over the duration of the apprenticeship programme. You must have an eligible residency status and not be on any other government funded training programme.
Working across Bauer Media UK, Digital News Apprentices will create multimedia news content for a range of radio and digital brands. By generating ideas and working on new stories, the role will ultimately help create powerful news content alongside Bauer’s newsrooms.
With a fresh and creative approach, Digital News Apprentices should produce content that informs and inspires Bauer’s audiences.
The successful candidate will build strong relationships, investigate issues of interest to our target audience and generate creative original stories which will help us set the news agenda both locally and across our national brands
- Alongside different Bauer news teams, create multimedia content (text, audio, video, and graphics)
- Alongside different Bauer news teams, generate ideas for news stories and help create digital content for existing news stories
- Must commit to completing the L3 Apprenticeship with the Bauer Academy.
- Produce multimedia content on multiple news stories for on-air, the news pages of our website and our social media channels.
- Have sharp enough judgement to be across the news agenda and react to breaking news in your patch.
- Work with other team members across England and the UK to maintain news diaries and plan ahead to enhance our news output in all day parts.
- Secure exclusive, original stories targeted to our audience
- Build strong reliable contacts in patch
- Work re-actively and pro-actively to ensure we are setting the news agenda both locally and nationally.
The Ideal Candidate
- There are NO formal qualifications for this role
- Level 2 (GCSE) English and maths is preferable, but candidates without these qualifications can attend training sessions to develop these function skills
- You should be able to demonstrate a knowledge of the kinds of stories which will resonate with our audiences There is no requirement for any prior work experience but the ability to demonstrate a strong interest in creating content is helpful (even if that is just a personal journal or Instagram images)
- Must have passion for news and journalism
- Skills for multimedia content creation is required for one or more of the following formats: Audio (recording/editing)podcasting, video production (filming and editing), social media (e.g. graphics and gifs), photography, etc.
- Awareness of Bauer Media brands and audiences is preferable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Great attention to detail, meticulously organised, with an excellent multi-tasking skillset
- Cheerful and positive attitude
- A self-starter who can plan and prioritise their time effectively
- Can think creatively and use initiative to find the solutions and come up with strong ideas
- Comfortable with digital platforms and technologies
- A team player, someone that loves to collaborate but can also be productive working alone
Rewards packages at Bauer Media offer a range of salary sacrifice Benefits, such as our pension scheme and flexible holidays, as well as exclusive Perks like great deals and discounts for everyday life.
We want to make sure that we find the right people to work in our teams, and we know that the traditional 9-5, five days a week doesn’t suit everyone. So, we would love to hear from you if you feel you’re a great fit for this role and would like to work flexibly. If you are the right person for this role, we’ll find the right working approach for you.
About the Company
About Bauer Media Group-UK
Bauer Media Group has become an enduringly successful media corporation by focusing on creating content that matters most to millions of people around the world: from print and online publishing to radio and money-helper services for consumers, as well as sales and marketing services for SMB. Family-owned in the 5th generation, Bauer focuses on the long term, with a consumer-first mindset that guides us across our increasingly diverse portfolio. Our workforce of 15,000 shares a passion – to deliver content and services that are popular with, and helpful to, our customers and partners.
Bauer Media Audio is Europe’s leading digital commercial broadcaster and audio operator. Experts in the power of sound, the company reaches over twenty-five million listeners daily through its market-leading broadcast radio, online services, and podcasts. Spanning 7 countries - the UK, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Poland and Slovakia - BM Audio owns leading brands including KISS, Mix Megapol, Absolute Radio, Radio Norge, Radio Expres, Radio Nova, Radio 100 and RMF.
Bauer Media UK is in the unique position of having its own in-house training provider available for all Bauer People: The Bauer Academy’s Accelerator programme is designed to help you learn new skills, increase your personal development and build a wider network of Bauer People. Our Learning & Development courses are widely used to upskill people at all stages of their career - there are a number of Bauer People at director level who are currently on programmes, as well as learners who are just starting their careers with us.
Belonging at Bauer Mission statement
People are at the heart of everything we do. Inclusivity is part of who we are. We celebrate diversity in all its forms, and encourage authenticity, knowing that our differences are celebrated.
What we will offer you
Quite simply, our promise to you is that Bauer Media is a great place to do great work with great people. Our people take an enormous amount of pride in the brands they support. They like their team members, and they feel supported by their managers. We all take collective responsibility for our culture, because we know it has a ripple effect out across our brands. That’s why our culture of inclusion at work, Belonging at Bauer, is at the heart of everything we do. Belonging at Bauer is about our dual goals of being as representative as we can of the audiences we serve, and about creating a working environment where all our people feel able to bring their whole selves to work every day. It’s part of everything we do, and everyone who works here is responsible. If you join us, you’ll be an important part of this as well.
Our mental health at work
We’re proud to be the driving force behind the “Where’s your head at?” campaign, which is working to put Mental Health First Aiders on an equal footing with traditional workplace First Aiders. This is a priority for all of us that work at Bauer and we now have fully trained Mental Health First Aiders supporting and working across all of our UK locations.
Bauer Core Values
Creativity - We create unique, high quality content that delights our audiences.
Ambition - We think big and bold, pushing boundaries and embracing change.
Passion - We approach every day with curiosity, commitment and a lively positive mindset.
Teamwork - We learn from each other and take the time to understand both challenges and opportunities, working together to find the right solution.
Trust - We are open, respectful and honest.
Inclusivity - We encourage different points of view and perspectives and value all contributions.
Responsibility - We make measured and thoughtful decisions that support the business vision.