Deputy Editor - Model Rail
To assist the Editor in ensuring the timely completion of all brand publications to expected levels of quality, ensuring that every member of the editorial team understands the magazine’s vision and brand values and produces work that lives up to those expectations for print, website and digital product.
You’ll also be involved with Model Rail’s complementary businesses, such as Model Rail Exclusive Models, as well as any future magazine and digital launches.
- You’ll get to know the reader, staying in tune with - and anticipating - what the reader is thinking, feeling and spending money on.
- Play a key role in planning each issue of Model Rail, helping to generate flatplans for the magazine, at least six weeks ahead of copy deadline. Create and oversee processes for print/website content crossover and mutual promotion, while ensuring that we have a coherent relationship between print and digital.
- Commissioning and controlling freelancers and keeping within budgets, managing workflow of all editorial output and maintaining an excellent relationship with the hub. Ensure a smooth flow of copy from internal and external writers and subject every page to ‘Why? Why now? Why this way? How does this help our readers?’ and challenging freelancers and editorial team if content falls short of expectations.
- Produce quality copy, second-stage proofreading (after first stage subs) ensuring that pages are ready for Editor’s final sign off.
- Maintaining and continually strengthening Model Rail’s relationships with readers both via print/digital and at events. Helping the commercial team to improve their relationships with key clients, e.g. model manufacturers, where applicable by visiting companies and arranging visits for the commercial team if necessary.
What does a great job look like?
- Pages reflect the essence of the magazine and shout their best reason to be read.
- Images, headlines, stand-firsts and copy work together.
- Freelance copy is on brief and requires minimal subbing.
- Joined-up print and digital content.
- In the opinion of the Editor, Model Rail’s voice is right.
- Smooth workflow across all brand output due to excellent and timely planning.
- Other staff describe you as a professional role model.
- Good feedback from marketing, advertising, events and commercial teams.
- No rewrites or concept changes – your writing is always ‘on point’.
The Ideal Candidate
The Deputy Editor is the highest-ranking journalist on the magazine. They are in charge of crafting the issue day-to-day. The Deputy Editor is a top writer, commissioner, organiser, planner and deadline hitter, and they coax the best from each issue’s raw plan. If it’s a brilliantly executed magazine, it’s mostly due to the Deputy.
It’s important to say how the Editor fits into this. The Editor is the strategist, the Deputy the tactician. It’s the Editor’s vision that defines the magazine. It’s the Editor who plans how the title will grow, who directs the way staff use their skills to get it there, and who represents the magazine to the outside world. It’s the Editor, too, who oversees the conception and planning of each issue. But it’s the Deputy who gets on with making it, and thereby frees up the Editor to think even bigger in the future.
There can be no misunderstanding. The Deputy must know and buy into the Editor’s vision. The Editor must trust the Deputy to make the right judgements and decisions in their name. The two of them have to be interchangeable.
All that stands between a good Deputy and the Editor’s job is leadership.
What are the essential skills/qualities?
- Proven journalism skills and experience
- Market awareness, industry knowledge and an interest in practical crafts and hobbies
- Creative thinking, a natural communicator and a facility for close collaboration
- Concern for quality
- Planning and organising
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- ‘Can do’ attitude
- Analysing and solving problems
Rewards packages at Bauer Media offer a range of salary sacrifice Benefits, such as our pension scheme and flexible holidays, as well as exclusive Perks like great deals and discounts for everyday life.
We want to make sure that we find the right people to work in our teams, and we know that the traditional 9-5, five days a week doesn’t suit everyone. So, we would love to hear from you if you feel you’re a great fit for this role and would like to work flexibly. If you are the right person for this role, we’ll find the right working approach for you.
About the Company
About Bauer Media Group
Bauer Media Group has become an enduringly successful media corporation by focusing on creating content that matters most to millions of people around the world: from print and online publishing to radio and money-helper services for consumers, as well as sales and marketing services for SMB. Family-owned in the 5th generation, Bauer focuses on the long term, with a consumer-first mindset that guides us across our increasingly diverse portfolio. Our workforce of 15,000 shares a passion – to deliver content and services that are popular with, and helpful to, our customers and partners.
As the UK’s biggest selling magazine publisher, we create iconic and influential magazine media brands, digital properties and associated consumer and B2B live events for diverse, passionate audiences. We reach 25 million consumers through our portfolio, which includes heat, Grazia, Closer, Empire, Motor Cycle News, Parkers, Mother& Baby, TV Choice, Take a Break, Bella, Yours, Garden News and Country Walking. Our scale, coupled with the breadth of our portfolio, gives us an advantage over pure play magazine competitors. It also gives us a huge responsibility - our brands become the lens through which our audiences see the world, and for this reason, we take our responsibilities as a media outlet very seriously, recognising that we are responsible for shaping perceptions in the wider world.
Belonging at Bauer Mission statement
People are at the heart of everything we do. Inclusivity is part of who we are. We celebrate diversity in all its forms, and encourage authenticity, knowing that our differences are celebrated.
What we will offer you
Quite simply, our promise to you is that Bauer Media is a great place to do great work with great people. Our people take an enormous amount of pride in the brands they support. They like their team members, and they feel supported by their managers. We all take collective responsibility for our culture, because we know it has a ripple effect out across our brands. That’s why our culture of inclusion at work, Belonging at Bauer, is at the heart of everything we do. Belonging at Bauer is about our dual goals of being as representative as we can of the audiences we serve, and about creating a working environment where all our people feel able to bring their whole selves to work every day. It’s part of everything we do, and everyone who works here is responsible. If you join us, you’ll be an important part of this as well.
Our mental health at work
We’re proud to be the driving force behind the “Where’s your head at?” campaign, which is working to put Mental Health First Aiders on an equal footing with traditional workplace First Aiders. This is a priority for all of us that work at Bauer and we now have fully trained Mental Health First Aiders supporting and working across all of our UK locations.
Bauer Core Values
Creativity - We create unique, high quality content that delights our audiences.
Ambition - We think big and bold, pushing boundaries and embracing change.
Passion - We approach every day with curiosity, commitment and a lively positive mindset.
Teamwork - We learn from each other and take the time to understand both challenges and opportunities, working together to find the right solution.
Trust - We are open, respectful and honest.
Inclusivity - We encourage different points of view and perspectives and value all contributions.
Responsibility - We make measured and thoughtful decisions that support the business vision.