Broacast Network Engineer
Reporting to Senior Broadcast Engineer
The seeds of Bauer Media’s radio business were planted in 1990 with the acquisition of London dance station KISS FM. Today we operate 70 commercial, local, national and digital stations in the UK, including Absolute Radio, Magic, KISS and the Hits Network of 22 iconic local brands, situated in cities across the UK.
The Broadcast Technology Team is responsible for all technology related to creating and distributing our commercial radio content throughout the UK – with expertise in areas ranging from studio technology to radio playout systems.
Focus of the role
We are currently recruiting for two network engineers to work within a new team within our Radio businesses focused on the IP Network that underpins much of our broadcast technology.
The role will involve a mix of project and operations work. Of particular note there are several exciting projects underway to refresh the national Bauer network and introduce new capabilities such as SD-WAN and Multicast. Training will be provided where appropriate in all relevant systems.
- Be a key member of network related project teams – providing expertise in IP Network design, implementation and ongoing support
- Work closely with our National and Regional Technology teams and other teams within Bauer to diagnose and resolve faults with our network infrastructure
- Support and improve the Broadcast networks to improve reliability, performance and provide additional features/capabilities as necessary.
- Recommend, design and implement network upgrades to continually improve the local and wide area network infrastructure
- Implement and maintain detailed proactive monitoring of network equipment and related systems, working with third party vendors where applicable.
- Be responsible for handling a broad range of support requests relating to running the Bauer local and wide area networks. From configuring access switches and diagnosing complex routing problems to firewall changes and incident investigations, the role involves a broad range of technologies and systems.
- Liaise with external and internal contacts to fault-find and optimise our Wide and Local Area Networks, with a particular emphasis on availability and reduced latency.
The Ideal Candidate
You should already have experience working independently on a range of network technologies so will likely have experience in a number of similar roles.
You will have the ability and confidence to deal with a range of incidents and requests with minimal guidance working at least some of the following:
- Cisco hardware including Switches, Firewalls and Routers such as Cisco 2960 stacks, 3850 and Nexus (Non-Cisco skills will be considered)
- Cisco IOS, VLANs, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP and comfortable working on resilient systems in high-availability environments
- Familiarity with planning, designing and implementing quality of service across LAN and WAN links to effectively prioritise critical data
- WAN technologies including point-to-point links and MPLS
- Monitoring systems such as Solarwinds, Nagios, Zabbix or others
- Data centre processes including space and power management
- Dealing directly with carriers and other third parties to resolve problems
- VPN technology and processes including SSL and IPSEC
- Cisco or similar wireless systems
Experience of working in a 24/7 Broadcast Environment with Radio Broadcast systems, Audio or Video over-IP networks, multicast or SD-WAN would be considered a distinct advantage.
Rewards packages at Bauer Media offer a range of salary sacrifice Benefits, such as our pension scheme and flexible holidays, as well as exclusive Perks like great deals and discounts for everyday life.
We want to make sure that we find the right people to work in our teams, and we know that the traditional 9-5, five days a week doesn’t suit everyone. So, we would love to hear from you if you feel you’re a great fit for this role and would like to work flexibly. If you are the right person for this role, we’ll find the right working approach for you.
During the Covid 19 Pandemic this role will be mainly home based. There may be a requirement for occasional trips to our London Office locations to meet contractors, or install equipment. Post Covid-19 there is flexibility around Home Working long term, but an expectation that attending any of our London office locations at short notice will be possible if required.
About the Company
About Bauer Media Group
Bauer Media Group has become an enduringly successful media corporation by focusing on creating content that matters most to millions of people around the world: from print and online publishing to radio and money-helper services for consumers, as well as sales and marketing services for SMB. Family-owned in the 5th generation, Bauer focuses on the long term, with a consumer-first mindset that guides us across our increasingly diverse portfolio. Our workforce of 15,000 shares a passion – to deliver content and services that are popular with, and helpful to, our customers and partners.
Bauer Media Audio is Europe’s leading digital commercial broadcaster and audio operator. Experts in the power of sound, the company reaches over twenty-five million listeners daily through its market-leading broadcast radio, online services, and podcasts. Spanning 7 countries - the UK, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Poland and Slovakia - BM Audio owns leading brands including KISS, Mix Megapol, Absolute Radio, Radio Norge, Radio Expres, Radio Nova, Radio 100 and RMF.
Belonging at Bauer Mission statement
People are at the heart of everything we do. Inclusivity is part of who we are. We celebrate diversity in all its forms, and encourage authenticity, knowing that our differences are celebrated.
What we will offer you
Quite simply, our promise to you is that Bauer Media is a great place to do great work with great people. Our people take an enormous amount of pride in the brands they support. They like their team members, and they feel supported by their managers. We all take collective responsibility for our culture, because we know it has a ripple effect out across our brands. That’s why our culture of inclusion at work, Belonging at Bauer, is at the heart of everything we do. Belonging at Bauer is about our dual goals of being as representative as we can of the audiences we serve, and about creating a working environment where all our people feel able to bring their whole selves to work every day. It’s part of everything we do, and everyone who works here is responsible. If you join us, you’ll be an important part of this as well.
Our mental health at work
We’re proud to be the driving force behind the “Where’s your head at?” campaign, which is working to put Mental Health First Aiders on an equal footing with traditional workplace First Aiders. This is a priority for all of us that work at Bauer and we now have fully trained Mental Health First Aiders supporting and working across all of our UK locations.
Bauer Core Values
Creativity - We create unique, high quality content that delights our audiences.
Ambition - We think big and bold, pushing boundaries and embracing change.
Passion - We approach every day with curiosity, commitment and a lively positive mindset.
Teamwork - We learn from each other and take the time to understand both challenges and opportunities, working together to find the right solution.
Trust - We are open, respectful and honest.
Inclusivity - We encourage different points of view and perspectives and value all contributions.
Responsibility - We make measured and thoughtful decisions that support the business vision.
For more information about Bauer Media UK please check out our Website https://www.bauermedia.co.uk/