The Automotive Video team is responsible for some of the finest video content at Bauer and continues to grow at a rapid pace. With responsibility for MCN, Parkers.co.uk and CAR magazine, we’ve got a diverse range of titles and look to provide entertaining and insightful cutting-edge content for our audiences.
Working closely with the MCN editorial team and Head of Automotive Video, the automotive videographer’s primary responsibility will be to grow MCN video channels in line with wider brand targets. This will be done through expert channel management, exemplary planning, shooting and editing skills as well as a having a strong understanding of what the average viewer really wants to see from the channels. The brand, and the video that comes from it, is your baby.
Key Responsibilities and tasks:
- Work with the Head of Automotive Video and others to create engaging, brand-focused content for MCN and, on occasion, other brands. In each case, the title’s specific style guide must be adhered to in order to maintain quality and tone
- Assist the Head of Automotive Video in reaching set targets, goals and standards agreed at the start of each year
- Plan, shoot, edit and upload videos, with a strong emphasis on excellent sound design. This includes managing scriptwriters/presenters to ensure that all necessary material is collected in a timely manner
- Assist in the careful management of the production calendar to ensure all time-sensitive and embargoed videos are published on time. This may involve communicating with and assisting in the management of freelance videographers, as well as the wider editorial teams inhouse
- Liaise with various other members of the MCN and automotive video team to produce timely social media video content, creating a weekly schedule designed to maximise viewing figures and income
- Research and devise methods for other members of the MCN and other automotive teams to produce short-form video content. This could involve producing a template for shooting video via smartphone on car/bike launches, an instruction manual on how to produce social media video or a plan on how new editing software (e.g. iMovie) could be used to create additional video content using the latest mobile journalism best practice
- Take ownership, with the Head of Automotive Video, of channel management – we aim for meticulous house-keeping of our platforms such as YouTube, Facebook and Twitter
- Re-use existing video content across all titles in order to supplement viewing figures and income from video product
- Own the management, care and servicing of Bauer’s inhouse video equipment. Provide necessary input to future purchases, outlining what is needed to achieve set goals
- Keeping up to date with the latest trends in automotive video and video as a whole, identifying key gaps in the market before they materialise
The Ideal Candidate
What you will bring:
- A strong understanding of the latest camera equipment (including lenses)
- The ability to record high-quality sound, including car/bike exhausts and dialogue in noisy environments (e.g. moving vehicles or loud motor show exhibition halls)
- Competent with DSLR cameras and shooting in LOG formats
- Experienced at video editing, working with Adobe CC software including Adobe Premiere and After Effects to produce high-quality films
- Able to use Photoshop and Illustrator to create YouTube thumbnails and custom graphics
- An ability to pre-visualise shoots and collaborate with editorial teams to come up with a plan from a supplied script
- The ability to multi-task and respond to last-minute news stories and embargoes
- A keen interest in automotive cinematography is highly desirable, as is a working understanding of cars/bikes and the culture around them
- A strong work ethic is essential. Automotive shoots often create challenging environments in which the videographer needs to produce high-quality, concise work – often against the clock. You should be able to stay calm under pressure
- A full driving licence and ability to drive a variety of different cars and vans, if required
Rewards packages at Bauer Media offer a range of salary sacrifice Benefits, such as our pension scheme and flexible holidays, as well as exclusive Perks like great deals and discounts for everyday life.
We want to make sure that we find the right people to work in our teams, and we know that the traditional 9-5, five days a week doesn’t suit everyone. So, we would love to hear from you if you feel you’re a great fit for this role and would like to work flexibly. If you are the right person for this role, we’ll find the right working approach for you.
About the Company
About Bauer Media Group
Bauer Media Group has become an enduringly successful media corporation by focusing on creating content that matters most to millions of people around the world: from print and online publishing to radio and money-helper services for consumers, as well as sales and marketing services for SMB. Family-owned in the 5th generation, Bauer focuses on the long term, with a consumer-first mindset that guides us across our increasingly diverse portfolio. Our workforce of 15,000 shares a passion – to deliver content and services that are popular with, and helpful to, our customers and partners.
As the UK’s biggest selling magazine publisher, we create iconic and influential magazine media brands, digital properties and associated consumer and B2B live events for diverse, passionate audiences. We reach 25 million consumers through our portfolio, which includes heat, Grazia, Closer, Empire, Motor Cycle News, Parkers, Mother& Baby, TV Choice, Take a Break, Bella, Yours, Garden News and Country Walking. Our scale, coupled with the breadth of our portfolio, gives us an advantage over pure play magazine competitors. It also gives us a huge responsibility - our brands become the lens through which our audiences see the world, and for this reason, we take our responsibilities as a media outlet very seriously, recognising that we are responsible for shaping perceptions in the wider world.
Belonging at Bauer Mission statement
People are at the heart of everything we do. Inclusivity is part of who we are. We celebrate diversity in all its forms, and encourage authenticity, knowing that our differences are celebrated.
What we will offer you
Quite simply, our promise to you is that Bauer Media is a great place to do great work with great people. Our people take an enormous amount of pride in the brands they support. They like their team members, and they feel supported by their managers. We all take collective responsibility for our culture, because we know it has a ripple effect out across our brands. That’s why our culture of inclusion at work, Belonging at Bauer, is at the heart of everything we do. Belonging at Bauer is about our dual goals of being as representative as we can of the audiences we serve, and about creating a working environment where all our people feel able to bring their whole selves to work every day. It’s part of everything we do, and everyone who works here is responsible. If you join us, you’ll be an important part of this as well.
Our mental health at work
We’re proud to be the driving force behind the “Where’s your head at?” campaign, which is working to put Mental Health First Aiders on an equal footing with traditional workplace First Aiders. This is a priority for all of us that work at Bauer and we now have fully trained Mental Health First Aiders supporting and working across all of our UK locations.
Bauer Core Values
Creativity - We create unique, high quality content that delights our audiences.
Ambition - We think big and bold, pushing boundaries and embracing change.
Passion - We approach every day with curiosity, commitment and a lively positive mindset.
Teamwork - We learn from each other and take the time to understand both challenges and opportunities, working together to find the right solution.
Trust - We are open, respectful and honest.
Inclusivity - We encourage different points of view and perspectives and value all contributions.
Responsibility - We make measured and thoughtful decisions that support the business vision.